Questions For the Physician/Specialist

Here are some questions that you may want to ask any specialist whom you consult about your child's hand development. Remember that you may wish to seek multiple opinions from a range of specialists, such as pediatrician, orthopedist, geneticist, or plastic surgeon.

  • What caused the anomaly?
  • Is the anomaly part of a larger syndrome?
  • What types of medical interventions might be helpful? For example, is corrective or cosmetic surgery an option?
  • What can we do to help our child develop and improve function?
  • What are some problems that we are likely to encounter?
  • How often should we arrange follow-up appointments/check ups?
  • What other therapies should we pursue?
  • Where can we acquire more information about our child's anomaly? (journals, books, etc.)
  • Is there a local support group affiliated with this facility?
  • We would like to meet any families who have gone through this. Could your office contact them and give them our names/contact info?

© 2004. Laura Faye Clubok, MS, OTR/L, On The Other Hand Therapy.
Site by Deb's Webs