Questions for the Physician/Specialist
Here are some questions that you may want to ask any specialist whom you consult about your child’s hand/arm development. You may wish to seek multiple opinions from a range of specialists, such as pediatrician, orthopedist, geneticist, or plastic surgeon.
- What caused the limb difference?
- Is the difference part of a larger syndrome?
- What are some functional problems that the child is likely to encounter?
- What can we do to help our child develop and improve function?
- What types of medical interventions might be helpful? What are the benefits versus downsides of those interventions?
- If there are significant downsides, would you do this intervention for your own child?
- Could your office contact any families whose children have undergone similar interventions and give them our names/contact information so that we can ask about their experiences?
- What therapies could we pursue?
- How often should we arrange follow-up appointments/check ups?
- Is there a local support group affiliated with this facility?
© 2022. Laura Faye Clubok, MS, OTR/L, On The Other Hand Therapy